Friday, August 19, 2011

we should probably be feeding some kids, huh?

image from here

Things are looking pretty rough for millions of families on the Horn of Africa right now. The worst drought in 60 years has turned the all ready struggling region into an enormous dust bowl and millions of people have been displaced and are starving. Why this is not on the front page of every paper on the globe is beyond me? Surely the immanent starvation of millions of people is the most pressing social issue the globe is facing at this time?

Social media users are usually pretty quick to respond to a crisis so I thought I would take the opportunity to help you all sleep a little better and encourage you to go to the Red Cross East Africa Drought Appeal and make a donation. Go and feed some folks, you were only going to buy a vintage tea towel with that money anyway.

5 comments:

  1. I thought you were making a comment about how we should be getting dinner cooked instead of reading blogs. It must be guilt. Then that beautiful but tragic photo came up and I felt how lucky I was to be so casual about when to feed mine, what to choose out of the fridge tonight and how they would probably turn their noses up at at least one thing on the plate. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, so I won't go back to the oppy to see if those vintage sheets are still there... thanks for the reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a kid my mum used to say to me "Eat what you're given, there are children starving to death in Africa." Now that I'm all grown up and we can see the images on the tv and the computer screen I think we all should take the opportunity to be thankful for what we have, and to give what we can. After all, there is always someone that is less fortunate than yourself.

    Spread the word people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for sharing this. The world is such a messed up place when celebrity gossip, and sports events take precedence, and elicit more responses than human beings in crisis. Maybe the problem is too big, maybe we are overwhelmed but as the others said, at least we can be thankful for what we are so blessed to take for granted. x

    ReplyDelete